Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Craft Lake City


On Saturday I was in the Craft Lake City show at the Gallivan Center in Salt Lake City. I've never done anything like this, so I had very little in the way of expectations. I thought it would be a fun experience, and an opportunity to receive feedback about my work.


I thought long and hard about the table, and searched all over for fabric. I really wanted my table to feel pulled together. The fabric needed to be elegant and modern with an edge of "hipness" (like I try to convey my bridal pieces) (using that word is so not hip). I settled on this great grey print from Ikea. I thought it would be clean and modern while not overwhelming the pieces themselves. I also love grey, so when I saw it I knew it was perfect.


I bought black picture frames, and painted a few black, and put fabrics and papers inside, including a coordinating dandelion silhouette print that matches the runner. I've been totally inspired by {black. white. yellow.}, so I knew I wanted yellow flowers in my white vase. Sunflowers hold up really well in the heat, and were a good juxtaposition in contrast with the clean lines of the table.


The rice in the vases held the headbands nicely. I couldn't think of any other way to get them to say put. And this turned out to be really nice.


All put together, the table looked great. I got a lot of compliments on the spread, and lots of compliments on the hair pieces. While I didn't sell any bridal pieces (I didn't really expect to. Who looks for their wedding attire at a craft fair?), I sold about half of the headbands and clippies that I had brought with me. I made a lot of good connections with other bloggers, wedding planners, a ballet studio, and people who organize other fairs that would like me to come do their shows. I was busy through most of the day (it slowed down quite a bit at dinnertime), and I would definitely do it again next year now that I know what to expect.

All of the headbands I didn't sell will be listed on etsy in the coming week or two as I find time to get them posted. I wish I had great photographs of each of them!

1 comment:

  1. I love your work! My husband and I are local photographers and if you still need shots of your pieces to post on etsy we'd love to partner up. We could work something out in trade? Here's a post on some recent product shots we did. http://chrisblackburnphotography.com/blog/?p=1303

    ReplyDelete